“Battle of the whispers; A Boston tourist attraction becomes a research lab to resolve a 19th-century sotto voce mystery”
Spotts, Peter N. “Battle of the whispers; A Boston tourist attraction becomes a research lab to resolve a 19th-century sotto voce mystery.” The Christian Science Monitor, June 5, 2006.
This brief article sheds no particular light on the religion of Christian Science nor its founder, Mary Baker Eddy, but it is worth knowing of the uniqueness of the architectural structure known as the Mapparium. It is part of The Mary Baker Eddy Library located in the Christian Science Publishing Society at The Mother Church headquarters. The structure is a large globe in which visitors can look at the world inside-out from a glass bridge. Spotts, reporting for The Christian Science Monitor, describes a team of acoustics scholars from Boston University who studied its whispering-gallery-effect to settle the 135-year-old debate over the cause-and-effect relationship of the movement of sound within the sphere.
Print ISSN: 0882-7729
Annotations related by category:
- Availability: Online - Academic Credentials or Fee
- Availability: Online - Free
- Official Christian Science Publication: Yes
- Organizations: The First Church of Christ, Scientist
- Publication Date: 2001-2010
- Resource Types: Article
- Resource Types: Web Resources
- Subjects: Christian Science and Architecture