“Christian Science Communion Services”
Mary Baker Eddy Library, The. “Christian Science Communion Services.” Released 22 July 2022.
The first communion service held by Christian Scientists goes back to the beginning of the movement, in 1880. Christian Scientists in Boston met in different venues until the opening of the original edifice of The Mother Church in 1894. Twice a year The Mother Church hosted a Communion service in which thousands attended. But in 1908, after ten thousand showed up for the Communion service, Mary Baker Eddy asked that these special services at The Mother Church cease. She was concerned that the Communion services would become more about a social meet-and-greet, thereby losing its sacred meaning. She was also thinking of all those who had traveled long distances to attend but were turned away due to lack of space. In a letter to the First Reader of The Mother Church, Eddy explained that this decision was “a step higher in their [congregants] passage from sense to Soul.” However, Communion services in the branch churches continued twice a year. These services never included the consecration and sharing of bread and wine. Seeking to get to the heart of Communion, Eddy provided a sacred place in the order of Communion services where congregants kneel in silent prayer followed by the Lord’s Prayer.
View this resource on The Mary Baker Eddy Library website.
See also annotation:
“The Bible and Christian Scientists” by Michael W. Hamilton